Friday, February 11, 2011

yeast saves the day again

Food allergies are common. Most go ignored because the side effects can be excusable like a drippy nose or puffy eyes in the morning. I avoid wheat because I get GI problems I'd rather avoid. For the past seven years I've pretty much eliminated bread from my diet because most "alternatives" are not worthy of ingestion. Last year a friend who also has a wheat allergy told me she can eat sprouted wheat. So I experimented with that and have been happy with the results, I forgot how good sandwiches are for every meal.

This week Dustin felt like making me his lab rat and thought I should try eating sourdough bread. I was hesitant. It makes sense that I would be able to eat predigested wheat gluten.

Most of the flour called "wheat" today is made from a hybrid plant that has a funky gluten that, for many, is hard to digest including the digestively impaired. Spelt and kamut are heirloom wheats that have simpler gluten which are much easier digest. Sourdough is one of those magical foods that gets transformed by our microscopic friends. They eat the gluten and convert it to a simpler form that the digestively impaired, like myself, can dine on.

So we bought ourselves a loaf of bread baby bird style (sourdough) and had a lovely picnic on the beach.

Hooray for yeast!

goatfence-16

I know this isn't a related picture but sheep man is so handsome.

No comments:

Post a Comment